Friday, November 12, 2010

Low Waving it...

Another reason I love Austin, The Mohawk. What a great venue for live music and socializing. I think I'm there at least once a week. The drinks are great, the bartenders are amazingly welcoming, and there is such a diversity of bands that perform there. The owners have done such a great job at making the Mohawk different than any other music venue in Austin.

Anyways, I love the Hawk and more imporantly almost all the shows I check out are at the Hawk. Another reason why I like the Mohakw... all the hot bearded men. mmmmhmm.

So tonight is a show that I've been such excited about for a few months, Future Islands and Lower Dens (hence the Low Waving it title). Both bands are amazing AND are from Balitmore! 2 more bands NOT from Brooklyn or Cali.

The first time I heard FI I feel in love. I know, I know, I say that about almost every band, but it's the truth. It was the EXACT sound I was looking for at the time (I remember saying that out loud, to my cat). It's hard for me to even describe the type of sound if you don't already know them. It's dancy... Heavy snyths, drum machine, bass guitar, and a very distinct vocal. The lead singers voice, wow. It's very different, but good. All I know is, whenever I need a pick me up and need to dance around (even alone at my apartment) I'm going to put on some Future Islands. I saw them back in the spring and it was amazing. There was maybe 10 people in front of the stage but it gave me plenty of room to dance. The singer was very engaging and sings like he's telling the story of the song... Incredibly enthralling, charismatic and theatrical. It's hard to describe, but it was great. You could tell they were having a good time.



So when I saw Future Islands they had opening band that didn't exactly have a band name yet... but they were crazy good and I remember thinking to myself- I hope I can remember who they were because I liked them so much. A few months went by and xmu started playing this song by a band called Lower Dens. After some web surfing I realized Lower Dens was THE band that opened for Future Islands that we all liked so much (the crowd was completely impressed and thought they were great). So, much to my suprise Lower Dens is playing AGAIN with Future Islands. Again, I'm terrible at describing how a band sounds, but they inspired my new genre "Low Wave". It's a mix between New Wave and Chill Wave. 2 great guitar melodies that are completely intertwined, with great snare/kick drum action, low female vocal and more upbeat bass guitar. I really like them and know they are gunna blow up!


Hospice Gates by Lower Dens

AHH... I'm so excited to see both these bands. It's going to be a great show!

I completely forgot that I haven't been including a playlist for the week. Well, here it is (if anyone is out there):
1. Deerhunter "Desire Lines" (it's on repeat)
2. Foxes in Fiction "Flashing Lights Have Ended Now" (did some research on these guys and apparently they have said they decided to play music after hearing Atlas sound a.k. Bradford Cox... interesting)
3. Frankie Rose & The Outs "Little Brown Haired Girls" (Hey, that's me!)
4. Future Islands "Long Flight"
5. Future Islands "Inch of Dust"
6. Lower Dens "A Dog's Dick"
7. Lower Dens "Two Cocks"
8. Real Estate "Out of Tune" (totally kicking myself for missing their show at SXSW. I only wish they would roll back into Austin).

K-Spot is excited...

1 comment:

  1. get over here, its gonna be a blast!! yes! excellent write up and i can't wait for the review ;)

    ReplyDelete