Friday, November 19, 2010

Broken Dreams Club...

So Girls released their new EP "Broken Dreams Club" this week. Of course it's ridiculously good. It's a bit different than their first album... A few songs even sounding a bit country with the addition of a steal guitar and trumpet. Apparently Girls released this album as a thank you for all of the support they have received. Well, THANK YOU GIRLS. In any case, every song is beautifully written. Instead of tuning out the lyrics and focusing on the instrumental parts of songs like I've been doing lately, the lyrics are all I can focus. The title track "Broken Dreams Club" describes exactly what I've been feeling lately, but haven't been able to put into words.

"it's hard enough to be alone
it's harder still to spend so long looking for happiness
feeling so restless
I know you feel like I do too
even though I'm close to you I can't be what you need
you're just as lost as me
I just want to get high but everyone keeps bringing me down
if you know something I don't, come on and help me out
but I just don't understand how the world keeps going nowhere
there's still so many people poor
can't get my head around these wars, all of this senselessness
of feeling so hepless
so many people live and die
and never even question why all of their dreams are gone
how can they carry on
I would like some peace of mind, I've got such a heavy heart
and you were broken down before you had a chance to start
and I just don't understand, how the world keeps going nowhere"


Girls have such a briliant way of writing songs about heartbreak, defeat, love, and life that is overwhelmingly relatable. It's almost like you feel you are apart of the song and comforted to know that someone else was feeling that way... like Girls is welcoming you to the club and saying "I get you". Well, I think I just might be CEO of the broken dreams club.

Even though their performance at ACL was a let down, I still enjoyed watching them and walked away wishing for more. The way he swaggers around with his guitar and smurks, the chemistry between all the band members, and the meaningfullness of every single word in each song is exactly why they are great. Unbelieveably charismatic.



Bradford, I think you just might be momentarily replaced as my "frontman love".

2 comments:

  1. i will take christopher back when you are done with him ;) i still think we should go to vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hearby nominate you, Erin, as COO of the BDC. I need you to help me operate.

    ReplyDelete