Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ghostland... what a joke

I'm pretty certain that anyone who was a Ghostland Observatory fan "back in the day" when their second album, Paparazzi Lightning, was just getting some local buzz is no longer a fan. They really lost it... I mean, really lost it. I'm not sorry for saying that either. I feel pretty confident in saying that that album was a 1 hit wonder for them. Everything they've done after that album just isn't the same. I remember how much I loved them in 2006-2007. My roommate and I at the time would have lil living room dance parties, and GH was on repeat. Sweety dance parties...

I remember seeing them at Lucy's in San Marcos (ticket was only $8) and the crowd wasn't even full... now their playing at the Cedar Park amplitheater ever other week?? flipppppping weird/lame. They were so good back then, and now it's just pittiful. I know I'm not a music critic or a musician, but still... I wish they would just stop and do something else.

If anyone actually reads this amatuer blog, you are probably wondering what brought on this anit-ghostland rant... I checked Pitchfork out this morning (as I usually do) to read the latest album reviews, and lo and behold Ghostland Observatory just released their 5th ablum. Here's the review: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14786-codename-rondo/

WOW!

Alright, I'm done venting on how disappointed I am. Maybe even sad.... not just about how much GH stinks, but because looking back at the time in my life when I was the #1 Ghostland fan was also some of the best years of my youth. I've been pretty nostalgic lately, thinking about life and changes. It's amazing how listening to a song or thinking about a band makes you remember where you were the first time you heard them. Who you were the first time you heard that band, and how much you've changed since you loved that band.

Crazy

1 comment:

  1. 1st thing, it's their 4th album.

    Maybe they lost it for you, but I am open minded enough to see what they were trying to do, mostly just have fun and keep it light and dancey!

    It's funny and it's fun for me and thousands of other people. If you're basing your opinion on what pitchfork wrote it's sad. They're close minded idiots.

    Hope you'll give it another shot, especially see them live, the new music kicks ass!

    ReplyDelete