Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dance party in my head

Dance is therapy for me... so instead of paying to go see a therapist, I'm just gunna dance around and get all the bad/unchill vibes outta me... like an exorcism of sorts. When I can't "physically dance", I'm gunna throw a dance party in my head. This is especially effective at work, or on a plane.

For the past few weeks I've been listening to my latest and greatest mix tape of chillwave. This is what keeps me happy... My current dance party, playlist obsession is with this new artist, Twin Shadow. Click play on the video, listen, and read.


Straight out of the '80's... where did this guy come from? I swear, he must have a time machine because he looks and sounds like he is from 1984. How did he learn to play this kind of music? Did he watch music video's from the '80's and train himself to play the synths and drum machine just like new wavers back then? Whatever his story is, I love him. He's beautiful and his voice makes my knees go weak. The first time I heard "Slow" I remember saying out loud, while driving, "where did this come from? who is it? I gotta have more!" "I don't wanna believe, or be in love"... what a great line.

I listened to the album about 5 times and fell in love (i fall in love easily with music, especially chillwave). I think after the 15th listen, I REALLY got it. Every song evolves into the next, like a story about love and love gone wrong. One element that sets Twin Shadow apart from the other chillwave artists I like is how clean and clear his voice is. He's such a great song writer and even though it's dance beats, the songs are deep and relatable. My favorite track is the last one on the album "Forget". It starts off slow with a little synth, then moves into some drum machine beats... then his beautiful man voice emerges. "When winter sets in, it has a way of crystalizing all the bad times, the fevers and heartaches... This is all of it, this is everyone I'm wanting to forget." The exact thing you would say after you've just had a shitty relationship. Wow.

Another dance obsession I have is with this group called Palmbomen... ETTM (extreme to the max... thanks Erin) dancy. The voices are a bit fuzzy, but it's all about the beats. Makes me wanna do a weird, shitty version of the robot and wear bright blue tights with lighting bolts on them. Such good beats, man. AND they are from the Netherlands.


On an ending note, I'm diggin the new Crystal Stilts song "Shake the Shackels"(dancy new wave, yet a little bit rock)... here it is:
Shake the Shackles by Crystal Stilts
I really like this guys voice, sounds like a fusion of Ian from Joy Division and Paul Banks from Interpol. It's out October 26th yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment