Friday, October 22, 2010

CMJ Music Marathon... whatevs

Everyone who lives in NY/Brooklyn, do you even know how lucky you are to have access to way more great live music than any other city in the US? Srsly, wish I could live there just for a few days so I could see all my fav bands. I know if I really DID live there, I'd totally be broke and not appreciate it as much.

In any case, CMJ Music Festival is going on right now in New York. It's pretty much like SXSW, except for the fact that I'm not actually there. I listen to satelite radio all day and each DJ can't stop talking about all the great shows going on right now in NYC... it's really pissing me off, because I'm jelly (jealous). Whatevs stupid New York...

One buzz band for CMJ is Cloud Nothings. Cloud Nothings have been on my mind for weeks. A few things I really like about them is the lead singers muffled voice and the peppy/up-beat guitar... I especially appreciate the fact the that they're not from LA or Brooklyn. FINALLY. Most of the new-indie bands are from either of those places, so I get excited every time I find out a band isn't from there. Anyways, CN came out with their first full length ablum last Tuesday (October 12th... I even marked it on my calendar weeks before the date because I was anxious to hear it) and it's realllllly good. "Strumming" and "Turning On" are by far my favorite songs. "Turning On" starts off with a heavy bass then comes in the peppy/friendly guitar with their singers fuzzy voice. Their sound is true garage rock... more so than other garage-y/lo-fi bands that I've been into lately, I think at least. It's a pretty raw album yet an incredibly clever way to record, and it puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it.

Cloud Nothings- "Turning On" from the great pumpkin on Vimeo.



Anyways, it's been a hard week and I've been in desperate need of some inspiration. Music always seems to be the cure, even if I'm just listening to the melody or rythm rather than the actual words, it helps. Sometimes I'd rather zone out to the beat, and completely ignore the words... words can be overrated. Lately, I just want to get lost in the guitar or drum part of a song, rather than sing the words.

Well, that's all I really can say. Here's my play list for the week:
-Cloud Nothings "Turning On"
-Cloud Nothings "Hey Cool Kid"
-Cloud Nothings "Strummin"
-Deerhunter "Rainwater Cassette Exchange" (THIS is a great song. Get on it)
-The Fresh & Onlys "Waterfall (I downloaded their full album, and I'm pretty disappointed, but I still like this song)
-The Modern Lovers "Roadrunner (an oldie, but a goodie)
-The Modern Lovers "Someone I care About" (Lou Reed, for sure)

1 comment:

  1. how refreshing...and oh so true...get lost in the sounds and not just the lyrics...hey K-Spot, you're a cool kid <3

    ReplyDelete