Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A year of silence

Wow so I guess I really did go a year without writing anything! I think the first day of 2014 is a great time to end my year of music blog silence. I spent the first part of 2013 living in two cities that I didn't like and had a job that was destroying me. After two years of living away, I decided to move back to my home, AUSTIN! I was hoping that when I moved back, I would find the inspiration of writing that I used to have, but just couldn't find it... until now!! Last night was New Years Eve and for the first time ever, I decided to go out rather than stay in or house party it up on NYE. One of my favorite bars in town was hosting a huge party that featured 20 local bands that picked a band from 1994 and did covers. It was really AWESOME! A few of the ands I saw covered Magnetic Fields, Pavement, and Mazzy Star. It's real crazy to think that in 1994 I was 10 and in 4th or 5th grade. I grew up listening to county music and classic rock so in 1994 I had NO idea was alternative/indie rock was nor did I know these bands. It wasn't until college and meeting new people, that I learned about older bands from the '90's. I wish that I could have been in my teams in the '90's so that I can appreciate bands like The Pixies and Sonic Youth a bit more. I think living in the time of the bands hay day really helps understand what their songs mean and the story behind them. I ended the night seeing the Mazzy Star cover band and the last song they played was Fade Into You. I remember hearing that song in 1994 from some movie and I've loved that song since them. I wish I could describe and explain why this song is so infectious, but I can't. The guitar and the beautiful voice make it impossible to not want to singe along and hear n repeat. The song seems to melt into you. A current band that I love, Dum Dum Girls, came out with a song a few years ago and not only does it remind me of Fade Into You, it is one of those songs that allows me to sing and sing hard. Music is forever and sounds/song from years past always reincarnate and surface back in new music.

DUM DUM GIRLS: COMING DOWN from Malia James on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment