Sunday, July 29, 2012

To Dive or not to DIIV...

A few months ago I wrote about when I saw Frankie Rose and another band called Dive. I definitely liked Dive, but didn't give them too much thought. The main man of Dive used to tour with Beach Fossils so I just kind of associated Dive with Beach Fossils. In any case, while seeing Dive I told my friend "Just wait a few months and they will be huge". Well, it's been a few months and they aren't just yet "big", but they are getting tons of well deserved hype. Since the show, they changed their spelling to DIIV... apparently there is some Euro band named Dive. So, after my Beach House "Bloom" obsession died down a bit, I decided to download the new DIIV album. It took me a few listens, but now I'm just as obsessed with this record as I was with the Beach House new album. So much so, that on a recent flight back to Texas I listened to it on repeat for 2 straight hours. I always have a hard time describing what a band sounds like or what I feel like while listening to it, and that's certainly the case with DIIV. I just really, really, really like the album, and the WHOLE album. If you know me, you know that just about any band that sounds low-wave/dark-wave, really any "wave", is going to be a favorite of mine. There's something special about DIIV that I can't quite nail down, I just know I love it. In 2010, my favorite band was Wild Nothing and when they finally came to Austin in early 2011, my little heart was complete. I've been waiting and waiting for another album from Wild Nothing and about a month ago they released a new single. I kept looking at their tour dates and, of course, Atlanta was not listed... BUT a week ago they announced they'd be here with.... DIIV. Perfect line up.... Captured Tracks really knows what they are doing when they add bands to their label. I'm fairly certain that the new Wild Nothing album will be my favorite album of the year, which might be a stretch considering this year has been full of great music. Here's the new WN single: This fall is going to be filled with fantastic music and great shows... can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. To your comment, "There's something special about DIIV that I can't quite nail down, I just know I love it."

    Where words fail, music speaks. :)

    K-Spot is awesome!

    ReplyDelete