Tuesday, August 16, 2011

FFF... Fantastic Fall Forecast

I have to say this summer there have been some pretty incredible music discoveries for me and fall album previews. And what's even better is most of the music releases that are top on my list are from bands that will be coming to Atlanta in the next few months. It's been a pretty disappointing summer for live music here, but I'm hoping the fall will make up for it.

I think the show I'm most excited to see is actually in Athens next month- Toro y Moi, Bass Drum of Death, and Unknown Mortal Orchestra. You all know how much I love BDD, but Unknown Mortal Orchestra is a band that came into my radar this summer. Foggy, lo-fi at it's greatest, garage rawness to a T. I'm a little in awe of how great this band is. Everytime I listen to them, I feel all fuzzy and warm inside and I always have a smile on face... So, this show is going to be pretty big and I can't wait to see it... not only to see all 3 bands, but to go to Athens for the first time with my dear friend (ERIN) who will be making her ATL debut from NYC.

Yourstru.ly Presents: UMO "How Can You Luv Me" from Yours Truly on Vimeo.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - 'Ffunny Ffrends' from Bowlegs on Vimeo.


Next on the list of Fall shows to come is Girls. They are finally releasing another full length album in September and will be playing in ATL the day after their album releases... perfect timing I must say. I can't tell you how much I love Girls and Christopher Owens. He's truly a poet, and together with his side kick they really make some incredible music. I honestly believe that Girls will be a band that will be immortalized and just might be the modern day "Led Zeppelin" for me. A few weeks ago they released their new sing, Vomit, and below is the music video:


Of course I've got to throw in some electro/low-wave stuff in the summer mix, so some other bands I've been listening to that will also be coming to ATL in September are Hooray for Earth, Gardens & Villa, and The War on Drugs.

Hooray For Earth - True Loves from Dovecote Records on Vimeo.


The War on Drugs "Baby Missiles" from Secretly Jag on Vimeo.


And finally is a show I recently saw, White Fence. I've loved WF for a while now and have always wondered what a live show would be like... and I finally experienced it. I really admire the musicians behind bands such as White Fence/Wild Nothing, because they record their albums as a sort of a one man band by creating most of the sounds themselves, but have a full band backing them up when they play live shows. It's incredible and actually makes the show more interesting because the songs you know and love from their albums sound the same, yet different live. I actually prefer that. To be suprised at a show, and not know what the heck the band will sound like.

I've got high hopes for the album releases in the fall, and more importantly for the shows I'm planning to see in the next few months. I'll say it again as I've said before, there really is no better feeling than seeing a live show and walking away thinking that you just saw greatness from a band you either loved or were just starting to...

No comments:

Post a Comment