Friday, February 4, 2011

Big happenings...

Saw the first show of 2011 last week... Wavves and Best Coast at Emos. I was pretty excited to see them. After FFFest I needed to see them again up close because both of their albums were on my repeat playlists last year. I absolutely hated that they were playing at Emo's, because everytime I see a show there I question myself as to why wasted my money/time. But this time I figured I'd give Emo's one last chance to change my mind. Well, sadly I'll never go to Emo's again... Even if it's a great band. I'll just suffer and wait to see them elsewhere. It's unfortunate that so many great bands are booked there instead of the Mohawk (because the hawk is by far the best live music venue in Austin). It's incredibly hard to hear anything at Emos', even standing right next to the speaker. It sucks... spending $20 to see a band you LOVE and walking away being disappointed, not by the performance of the band, but by the sound quality. Anyways, even though the Emo's show sucked, I'm still glad I got to see Wavves and Best Coast. In my opinion, Wavves put on a better show. Maybe because they play music that you can pump your fists to and yell/sing. Even though I'm still a little disappointed in the show, sometimes it's not about that... sometimes it's about the overall experience. Because afterall if you are at a show with a great group of friends and have a great time, that's really all that matters. And I certainly had A GREAT TIME.

And speaking of bands I LOVE... My fav band of 2k10, Wild Nothing, is FINALLY playing in Austin. I just can't believe it took so long for me to see them. I am in love with their dreamy/synth/pop sound and I still listen to their records on repeat... just listening to them over and over. Everytime I listen to them I feel like I'm floating on a cloud, it's so dreamy. You just have NO idea how much I love this band. Luckily they are NOT playing at Emo's, otherwise I'd cry. In any case, they are the only band that I love that I haven't seen yet... actually take that back, I still haven't seen The Drums :( Wild Nothing is playing tonight at Red 7, which is a bit weird considering that place usually has metal bands play. It should be interesting... I'm going to geek out when they play.

Wild Nothing - Chinatown from Jack Tatum on Vimeo.


In other BIG news, I visited Atlanta this week and found the local college radio station. They played some Weekend, Wild Nothing, AND every other song was either Deerhunter or Atlas Sound (they are from ATL). It makes me very happy that the indie college station was playing some Bradford Cox. I always wondered if the local indie folks that live in ATL actually appreciated him, and apparently they do!!

Well, that's all I got today. Super excited about the show tonight. Hopefully they don't cancel, considering it snowed here last night (which has the city in a panic because it never snows).

Until next time, K-spot is snowed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment